International student enrolment

Enrolling at UC is a simple and easy process - follow the steps here and be on your way to being a student at UC.

Before you begin, you will need to set up an account with myUC – this is easy, all you need to is a valid email address (myUC is the University of Canterbury's student portal and the first step on your path to enrolling for study at UC).

You should complete your application through myUC as soon as possible - closing dates may differ depending on the qualification you are applying for so make sure you check if your qualification requires a special application.

Before you can start your qualification at UC you must first meet university entrance requirements by seeing if you are eligible. UC also offers a number of transition programmes that help students get ready for study.

Details you will be required to provide include:

  • Identification including citizenship and residency
  • Admission reason
  • English proficiency (if you completed your schooling outside of NZ)
  • Academic history
  • How you will fund your studies
  • Intended qualification of study
  • Intended study date

 Before you submit your application you will need to read and accept the Student declaration

 Once you submit you application, you will no longer be able to make changes to the sections you have completed. If changes are required, please contact us on 0800 VARSITY (827 748), international +64 3 369 4999, or email

From the first Tuesday of October, log into myUC and add the courses you will study for that enrolment period. Qualifications at UC are not prescribed so you must select which courses you would like to study.

If you are not sure what courses you need to study, contact your College Student Advisor. They can help you plan your courses for throughout your qualification.

Courses must be added before we are able to complete your enrolment with you, so make sure you get this organised early.

Course Workload

A normal first-year workload for a full-time student is 105-120 points (7-8 courses). A typical full-time student with a good NCEA Level 3 or scholarship result would aim for 120 points per year.  Please note you will be required to be enrolled in at least 90 points per year to meet Immigration NZ student visa requirements. 

Once you have received your Offer of Place, you are ready to book an Enrolment in Person session. Make sure you book early for a time which suits you, and before lectures begin. 

When you arrive in NZ

Be sure to attend your Enrolment in Person session – this is where we will complete compliance checks such as sighting your passport and visa, as well as where you will receive your Enrolment Offer and can pay your fees (if you have not pre-paid).

You will also be able to purchase StudentSafe Insurance if you have not already done so (all international students must have appropriate and current medical and travel insurance while studying in NZ)

All international students must attend one of these sessions, even if you have prepaid your fees.

Congratulations! You are now fully enrolled at the University of Canterbury. We look forward to welcoming you to campus.

Now that you are fully enrolled, you are able to collect your Canterbury Card from Security. This is your student ID card. This will give you access to buildings, if you join the Rec Centre, this will also be your membership card, and more.

UC offers an Arrival Week Programme for all international students arriving to study at UC for the first time. It includes an official welcome, information sessions and social activities.

The International Welcome is essential for all new students commencing their studies at UC. The programme will help you get settled to start your semester here as well as a great opportunity to meet fellow students.

Students Matariki

Check eligibility

Check to see you meet the requirments for your programme.


English language requirements

To study at UC, you need to have sufficient fluency in written and spoken English. Find out what the requirements are.

Students City

Student Visa

Find out what you need to do to for a new visa or if you need to renew.

Student Blossom Tree

International enrolment in person

Your enrolment will need to be completed in person on specific days - see here for details.

More information for international students including information about Christchurch and living in New Zealand, support available to students, and things to consider before arriving in New Zealand.

chat loading...